Sunday, April 20, 2014

Build - Aile Strike ver. RM

This is a build that I completed before I started the blog (Obviously - I only started this a day or so ago).

After I finished and was satisfied with my first kit, the RG Gundam Mk II, I was itching to go bigger and better.  I wanted to tackle my first MG.

 The Aile Strike is one of my favorite suits, and the ver. RM master grade is a fantastic representation of it.  My only issue is that I've never been a fan of the Red, Blue, White, Yellow color scheme that most protagonist suits have.  As this was my first master grade, I thought "Hey, why not try my hand at doing some painting too!"  So I came up with this sort of slytherin-esque theme, meant to be a little more militaristic than the default.

Using Tamiya spray cans, I painted as follows:

Frame = Gunmetal & Light Gunmetal
Formerly red pieces = Field Grey (which is the green color)
Formerly blue pieces = Flat Black.
I used some silver, and copper for accents, and finished it off with a dull coat and some weathering using the Tamiya idiot-proof weathering kits.

After I was completely finished, I had another idea.  I should try to put a USB-powered LED in the head!  It can't be that hard! Having some EE classes from college under my belt, and a healthy history of screwing around with electronics, I knew enough to make it work electrically.  I just didn't know how much work it would be to make it all fit in the suit, though it worked out in the end.

Anyway, here are some photos of it.  I apologize for the lousy photo quality.  I have yet to invest in a nice photography setup.

Let me know what you think!

Pose stolen from Gundam Beginner
Same pose, but it's a cool angle I think
Here he is just standing neutrally
LED turned on.  See the cable coming out of his butt?
LED on, light off.
Thruster details
Here you can see the USB port in his butt. Pretty cool if you ask me!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Fantastic work you did on your Aile Strike! Could you share how you installed the LED in its head please? I'd love to do this to my Strike! :)

    ReplyDelete